WHAT WE LOOK FOR IN A HOME
• Adopters must be at least 18 years of age with valid photo ID.
• We expect you to commit to love and care for your adopted pet for his or her entire life.
• All adults in the household must agree on the adoption.
• If you currently have pets, they must be spayed or neutered and vaccinated (unless there is a medical reason prohibiting it) and we must be able to obtain verification from a veterinarian. If you have pets that aren’t fixed or current on shots, we can help. Just ask our adoption coordinator for assistance.
• If you rent your property, you must provide a copy of your lease agreement or we must be able to reach your landlord for verification that pets are allowed.
• Adopters must not have a history of animal ordinance violations, irresponsible pet ownership, animal cruelty or surrendering animals to a kill shelter.
• Dogs will not be adopted exclusively as “guard dogs”, “watch dogs” or outside only pets.
• Adopters must meet any applicable special needs requirements for the animal and be financially able to provide for the animal.
• Adopters must provide veterinarian reference if they presently have pets in the home or if they have had pets in the home within the last two years.
• Military families must be permanent party to Goodfellow AFB and have good family support and a plan for the pet should deployment or relocation occur. Military families may not be eligible to adopt dogs in which breed specific legislation bans may exists in certain states.
• You may qualify to adopt, but not qualify for a particular pet (i.e. if you only have a 4 ft fence and are looking for a dog to be outside during the day, we will not qualify you to adopt a large dog with a history of jumping fences).
• We may require home visits for certain applications or for certain pets.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
We process applications in the order in which they are received. We make every effort to make the adoption process a smooth and enjoyable experience. We try to process the applications through within 24-48 hours.
Please provide us with the best possible number to reach your references. To expedite the veterinary reference, you may prefer to bring copies of your current pet’s veterinary records including spay or neuter verification and vaccination history. Our Adoption Center is open Monday – Friday 10am-5pm inside the City of San Angelo Animal Shelter.
If you have questions on the status of your application, please call our Adoption Coordinator at 325-656-PETS (7387).